Flat-out neat bottle trick

Posted by Unknown
Flattened glass bottle

This flattened glass wine bottle has been hanging around the cash register at the Go Green bottle depot for years; I'm jealous -- I flatten all the plastic, aluminium, and bi-metal containers I cash in, but I just haven't figured out how to do the same with glass. I guessed this would require temperatures in excess of 500 degrees F, meaning a pottery kiln, which seems to be correct. Web pages which detail how to flatten a bottle in an oven all appear to be jokes, or hoaxes. Click image to enlarge.

melting bottle neck with propane torchApparently the correct term to search is bottle "slumping." One exhaustive page called Bottle Reworking covers slumping using a pottery, or glass fusing, kiln in some detail. Also, here's a link to a Youtube video showing how to melt a bottle neck with a propane torch.
0 comments:

Post a Comment