A little nact binning

Posted by Unknown
[caption id="attachment_1348" align="alignnone" width="497"]A car binner I was playing with, drove right by these -- guess I distracted him a bit. Some people like to make artful displays of their empties. A car binner I was playing with, drove right by these -- guess I distracted him a bit. Some people like to make artful displays of their empties. No, not night-vision goggles, a crap VGA camera in my Treo.[/caption]

We Vancouverites enjoyed a beautiful evening yesterday. I didn't think about my bottom line until after 11 pm; most night I'm in bed by that time, but as I say, it was a be-you-tiful evening -- a Friday evening -- and my 90 Lumen headlamp wanted to shine, so I went out binning at Midnight. I had a lot of fun working an area on both sides of Broadway Avenue, which is a mojor traffic corridor running East-West. I covered the neighbouring area West of Fairview, called Kitsilano -- an affluent neighbourhood packed with single-family homes.

[caption id="attachment_1350" align="alignleft" width="150"] The upscale corner of Broadway Ave. and Macdonald St. features a rare phone booth containing this utterly trashed and gutted phone (I came for the can). You can click the image to to enlarge it, but it's hardly worth it.[/caption]

On Friday and Saturday nights, the section of Broadway which cuts through Kitsilano, can be one long party strip, which can make for lots of beer cans, and interesting encounters -- Kitsilano's street partiers can be drunk as skunks, but generally remain polite and friendly.

I had one brief encounter with a car binner, in a white SUV. I was friendly. I waved at him, though I was holding a wine bottle at the time. At one point on West Broadway, I had some rich-looking kids, on rich-looking mountain bikes, pacing and circling me, out of -- it turned out -- curiosity, not malice.

All-in-all it was two hours of good-value binning; an enjoyable bike ride, and I got to listen to almost an entire chapter of William Shirer's Berlin Diaries.

A brief word about the camera -- I've been using a dazzling 14 mega-pixel Canon camera a friend gave to me (frankly way more camera than I need), but they couldn't find the battery charger. It took nearly three weeks for the battery to run down, but it has. I'll be getting a charger soon as I can, but in the meantime...

0 comments:

Post a Comment