And that about wraps it up for God

Posted by Unknown
I gained a follower, And went to their web site by following a link to one of their posts: "Can we draw the image of God?."

I enjoyed reading the post. The writer is earnest in their belief, and their use of English is so endearingly awkward that it achieves the cadence of poetry. I'm not being sarcastic -- it's like taking a soothing bath in someone's belief.

I am neither a theist nor a deist. I am strongly negative where organized religion is concerned, and for the rest, I'm agnostic; I do not believe or disbelieve in the existence of god(s). The question is irrelevant to me the way the old Coke/Pepsi Challenge was to a root beer drinker.

When I was young enough that being a smart-ass could still be "cute," It actually occurred to me that the question was not, "Did I believe in god?" but rather, "Did god believe in me?" And I thought my existence rather answered that question.

Thinking about it as I left a thank-you comment on my new follower's site, spurred me to Google my glib adolescent theory -- I expect I'll find any number of past thinkers have tilled that ground, but nothing yet.

In the meantime, I will leave any interested readers in the more-than-capable hands of the late British author Douglas Adams, and his Babel Fish Argument for the Non-Existence of God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=fmpP73-SHPQ&feature=fvwp

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is the Word, the Truth, and the Light.
4 comments:
  1. Clare Flourish said...

    Life's a bitch. Lots of people follow simply to get you to look at their blog. Oh well. Shockingly, some people leave random comments with the same purpose!

  2. sqwabb said...

    Ha! And sometimes it works. Karate, Christianity, and snakes -- oh myl!

  3. Stephen Rees said...

    It baffles me when people treat my atheism as though it is some kind of "belief". Of course it isn't. I long ago gave up believing in things which were obviously told to little children to baffle them - the tooth fairy, the easter bunny, "Father Christmas", the troll who lives under the bridge. All right I will admit I was wrong about that last one. Trolls are, indeed, only too real. The shame is they no longer stay under bridges.

    Sorry, distracted myself. Where was I?

    Oh yes. It is very significant that the Jesuits work on the assumption that if they can get the attention of children that they will then retain their faith for life.

    What happened to me was that I stopped believing on things that manifestly did not work.

    You talk to God, that's praying. God talks to you, that's schizophrenia.

    The more I know about the universe - and the world - the less likely any religious explanation of reality seems.

    And as somebody else said, its quite easy to not believe in Jupiter or Odin or Vishnu. So not believing in every other deity is just as easy. I refuse to take seriously anyone who says I have to accept what they say unquestioningly. Why must I have faith?

    And yes, Douglas Adams cemented all that very nicely.

  4. sqwabb said...

    I recall reading Philip K. Dick chose to believe only in those things that didn't go away when he closed his eyes. If it's there, it's there, why must I believe? Nothing's ever disappeared because I stopped "believing" in it. BTW, I've slept under a bridge, does that count?

Post a Comment